Christmas Dinner Recipe: Bread Sauce – Always a popular accompaniment to roast turkey, if only for lovely aromatic fug it sends up
* 1 lt milk
* 1 nutmeg — ½ whole, ½ grated.
* 10 cloves
* 2 red onions
* 2 bay leaves
* 250g breadcrumbs
* 30g butter
* 1 dollop of double cream
* Salt and pepper
1. Peel and cut onions in half and stud with cloves.
2. Place milk, nutmeg, onion and bay leaves into saucepan and season with salt and pepper.
3. Bring to the boil then remove from heat and allow to infuse in a warm place for 3-4 hours.
4. Later strain the liquid.
5. Stir breadcrumbs into strained milk and add ¾ of the butter.
6. Put sauce on a low heat, stirring occasionally until bread crumbs swell up and the sauce mixture thickens.
7. Remove from heat and stir in cream.
8. Pour into serving bowl and dot with butter. Keep warm until serving.
MORE OF MARGARET’S MAGICAL CHRISTMAS DINNER
* Roast Potatoes
* Cranberry and Plum Sauce
* Glazed Ham
* Roast Turkey
Video by: Scotland